• City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Street view of City Hall Park, Frye Hotel, the King County Courthouse and Smith Tower. The Frye Hotel was constructed in 1911 and designed by the architects Charles H. Bebb and Louis L. Mendel. The project was funded by Seattle pioneer George F. Frye and his wife Louisa Denny Frye, for whom the hotel is named. The hotel was converted to low income housing in the 1970s. The Smith Tower opened in 1914 and was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962. The tower was designed by the Gaggin and Gaggin architectural firm. The King County Courthouse opened in 1916 and was constructed by architect A. Warren Gould. Additional stories were eventually added to the five story structure seen here during renovations in the 1930s.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00214

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00311

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • View of Space Needle from Smith Cove, 1962

    View of Space Needle from Smith Cove, 1962

    Gulacsik, George, 1923-2010

    Identifier: spl_gg_76580010

    Date: 1962

    View this item
  • Medical Dental Building, ca. 1925

    Medical Dental Building, ca. 1925

    The Medical Dental Building was constructed in 1925 and expanded in 1950. Initial plans for expansion during the 1930s were put on hold due to the Great Depression. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006

    Identifier: spl_pc_00901

    Date: 1925?

    View this item
  • Hotel Frye, ca. 1911

    Hotel Frye, ca. 1911

    The Frye Hotel opened in 1911. Transcribed from postcard: "European. Fireproof. Now open. Seattle's newest fireproof and most conveniently located hotel in city, corner Yesler Way and Third Avenue. Moderate rates. Room with detached bath $1.00 to $1.50, room with private bath $1.50 to $3.00. R.E. Nixon, Manager."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00816

    Date: 1911?

    View this item
  • Alaska Building, ca. 1905

    Alaska Building, ca. 1905

    The Alaska Building, constructed between 1903 and 1904, was the first building in Seattle to be built with a steel frame. At 14 stories high, it was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Hoge Building in 1911.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00225

    Date: 1905?

    View this item
  • Collins Field House, ca. 1910

    Collins Field House, ca. 1910

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Transcribed from postcard: "Four of Seattle's playgrounds have been provided with these Field Houses containing Libraries, Club Rooms, Assembly Halls, and Gymnasiums." The Collins Field House, located at the east end of Collins park on between 14th and 16th Avenues S., was one of three recreation centers built by the city in the early 1900's. It followed the center at Hiawatha Park and the Ballard Field House. The Collins Field House was torn down in 1975.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00702

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • King Street Station interior, ca. 1906

    King Street Station interior, ca. 1906

    During the early 1900's, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (the interior of which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. Confusingly, both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" or "union depots" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01015

    Date: 1906

    View this item
  • U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office, Seattle, Washington.

    U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office, Seattle, Washington.

    Construction on Seattle's Third Avenue post office (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office) was began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00411

    Date: 1908?

    View this item
  • First Hill, ca. 1910

    First Hill, ca. 1910

    First Hill neighborhood depicting St. James Cathedral at the top of the hill. The photo used as the basis for the card was likely was taken from the top of King Street Station.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00302

    Date: 1910?

    View this item