Business, Finance & Fundraising
If you are starting a business, applying for a grant or planning to invest in the stock market, we have free resources to help you. We have general business research tools as well as resources for small businesses and entrepreneurs. We also have online tools you can use to plan your investments, find funding for your non-profit or look for a job. If you want more help with your business, see our Business page.
Business, Finance & Fundraising Resources
- ABI/INFORM Trade & Industry Search here for the full text of industry and trade magazines, journals and newsletters.
- Best Customers Examine spending patterns of households by demographic characteristics and analyze household spending on more than 300 products and services. Identify households spending the most on a product or service (the best customers) and housholds controling the largest share of spending (the biggest customers).
- Business Plans Handbook Interested in starting your own business? This collection of actual business plans written by entrepreneurs seeking funding for small businesses in the manufacturing, retail and service industries offers real-world examples to show you the way.
- DemographicsNow Provides detailed U.S. demographic information and statistics to help with business research, market analysis and more.
- Foundation Directory Online (FDO) - Essential FDO Essential is a simplified version of FDO Professional, but still a powerful research tool designed to help nonprofits find the grantmakers most likely to fund them. Search across 103,000+ grantmaker profiles; recipient profiles and grant records are not included. Available to all Library users during the COVID-19 closure. No library card required. Access generously provided by Candid (candid.org).
- Foundation Directory Online (FDO) - Professional FDO Professional is a research tool designed to help nonprofits find the grantmakers most likely to fund them. Search across 189,000+ grantmaker profiles, 800,000+ recipient profiles, and 17.1 million+ grant records. For access to FDO Professional content during the COVID-19 closure, email L2B@spl.org for assistance.
- Foundation Grants to Individuals Online (GTI) GTI is a tool designed to help individuals like artists, researchers, and students find foundation funding. Includes profiles of 10,000+ funders that provide scholarships, fellowships, grants, and a wide range of financial support to individuals. For access to GTI content during the COVID-19 closure, email L2B@spl.org for assistance.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center Get up-to-date information about stocks, funds and other investment options, plus calculators and tools to help you manage your portfolio.
- O'Reilly Complete Public Library Improve your computer and business skills. Access nearly 50,000 titles, including 7,000 videos about computing, databases, programming, web design and more. Formerly Safari Books Online.
- Puget Sound Business Journal and Book of Lists Get online access to the Puget Sound Business Journal for local business news. The Book of Lists offers rankings and information about Seattle-area businesses. This resource is available only in Library locations.
- ReferenceUSA Looking for someone? Search this database of more than 25 million U.S. and Canadian businesses and more than 267 million U.S. residents. Download up to 250 records at a time.
- RMA eStatement Studies Look at benchmark financial statements and ratios for businesses. These studies provide detailed financial data to help entrepreneurs and startups create strategic plans and compare them to real-world measures.
- Safari Books Online Improve your computer and business skills. Access nearly 50,000 titles, including 7,000 videos about computing, databases, programming, web design and more. Safari Books Online has recently been renamed O'Reilly Complete Public Library.
- Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce Get online access to the Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce for local information on business, construction, real estate, engineering, architecture, and more.
- Value Line Get investment ratings, research, statistics and forecasts for thousands of stocks and mutual funds.
- WOIS/The Career Information System Looking for a job in Washington state? Find current salaries, training requirements and educational programs for a wide variety of occupations, plus tools to help you choose a career. You can use WOIS on any Library computer, or call 206-386-4636 for a remote access key.