Rainier Beach Branch Highlights
The Rainier Beach Branch was expanded and reopened Saturday, Jan. 17, 2004. Tall ceilings in the main room let through natural light. The branch has a
Serving Rainier Beach since 1912
The Library first opened a Rainier Beach deposit station at the Montera Pharmacy in 1912. The pharmacy was destroyed by fire in November 1917 and the Library lost 453 volumes valued at $428. In 1921 the Library re-established a deposit station at the Rainier Beach Dry Goods store, but that closed in 1924.
In 1928 the Rainier Beach Community Club, the Emerson School PTA and the Rainier Beach Women's Club persuaded the Library to open a part-time station in a storefront rented for $20 a month. The Rainier Beach Station opened on March 5, 1928, but during the Great Depression it closed in January 1932.
Flexible spaces for all ages
The expanded Rainier Beach Branch was the fifth project completed under the 1998 voter-approved "Libraries for All" building program.
The expansion was designed by Streeter & Associates Architects and built by Construction Enterprises & Contractors Inc.
Sculptures, glass and mixed-media art by multiple artists
Local artists Ray Jensen, Richard Beyer and Ariela Boronat created the building's art. The pieces span over a half-century of work from artists in the Rainier Beach community and city of Seattle.
Spaces named for donors include:
The D.V. and Ida McEachern Charitable Trust Children's Area and the Friends of The Seattle Public Library Meeting Room.