Students: Get a job at The Seattle Public Library! Applications due by Wednesday, Aug. 4
release date: 07/21/2021
Young adults ages 16 and older are invited to learn about and apply to the Student Assistant Program at The Seattle Public Library. Eligible students have until 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 4 to apply.
The Student Assistant Program provides jobs for students to gain paid work experience in a public library, as well as valuable job skills. Jobs are available at the Central Library and Library branches throughout Seattle.
2021-22 Program Details
- Students must be at least 16 years old and enrolled in high school, undergraduate college, vocational or G.E.D. programs while working at the Library
- Work is part-time, 12 to 15 hours per week, on weekday afternoons, evenings and weekends
- The positions are temporary and can be held for up to two years
- High school and G.E.D. students must be available to work for at least four months
- Undergraduate and vocational students must be available to work for at least three academic quarters
- Starting pay is $16.69 per hour, and students can receive salary increases as they successfully participate in the program
- Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 4, 2021
- Proof of school enrollment is due on Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2021
- Work will begin on Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021
How to Apply
Read the City of Seattle's job bulletin to learn about the job responsibilities, qualifications and how to apply. Students are asked to respond to general employment questions and supplemental questions that are related to the Student Assistant role. The application also asks about school, service learning and/or volunteer experiences in which the student provides services for their community and demonstrates how they work as part of a team.
Proof of School Enrollment Required
Students who are placed as Student Assistants must provide proof of school enrollment. They can provide a copy of a current student ID card, current class schedule, or an official school transcript. Proof must be emailed to Job.Applications@spl.org by Sept. 7, 2021 in order to be eligible for this year’s Student Assistant Program. See the job bulletin for other ways to turn this proof in by Sept. 7.
Contact the Library’s Ask Us service by phone at 206-386-4636 or by email or chat at www.spl.org/Ask. Staff are ready to answer questions and direct you to helpful resources and information.