Green Lake Branch History
In 1905, the Library opened a small, one-room structure on the east side of the lake. It was several blocks south of the present building. In 1908, wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie agreed to donate $35,000 to build a replacement branch. Local residents raised $3,000 to buy the current branch site; the city contributed another $1,000. The building opened in in July 1910.
Green Lake Branch 2004 renovation
The 8,090-square-foot branch, which opened in 1910, is a Carnegie-funded branch designed by W. Marbury Somervell and Joseph S. Coté. It is listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
The renovated branch now has:
- updated collection of books and materials
- more computers
- increased computer connections
- upgraded technology
- more efficient circulation desk and staff areas
- better sound insulation
- improved interior light control for computer use
- Project type: Renovate existing branch
- Completion date: 2004
- Budget for capital costs: $1 million
- Total library program area: 8,090 square feet
- Computers: 17 (formerly 15)
- Artist: Dennis Evans
- Art budget: $15,721
- Library Board steward: Linda Larson
- Architect: Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects
- Contractor: W.G. Clark Construction Co.
- April 2004: The Seattle Public Library board of trustees selected artist Dennis Evans of Seattle to create artwork for the Fremont, Green Lake, Queen Anne, University, and West Seattle branches.
- March 6, 2004: Residents enjoyed activities, music and snacks at the reopening celebration of the renovated Green Lake Branch of The Seattle Public Library.
- May 2003: Construction began on the branch renovation.
- December 2002: Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board issued the Certificate of Approval for renovation work planned for the branch. The branch closed on Dec. 16 for renovation.
- September 2001: Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board voted to designate the branch as a landmark building.
- May 2001: Architects and Library representatives discussed the branch renovation at a public meeting of the Green Lake Community Council.
- February 2001: Library staff directed Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects to proceed with the next phases of design.
- January 2001: Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects completed a feasibility study of renovation plans.
- May 2000: The Library Board selected Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects to design the renovation of the historically significant branch.